- Detection and treatment initiation for depression and alcohol use disorders: facility-based cross-sectional studies in five low-income and middle-income country districts. BMJ Open
Rathod, S.D., Roberts, T., Medhin, G., Murhar, V., Samudre, S., Luitel, N.P., Selohilwe, O., Ssebunnya, J., Jordans, M.J., Bhana, A. and Petersen, I.
- Partnerships in a Global Mental Health Research Programme—the Example of PRIME. Global Social Welfare
Breuer, E., Hanlon, C., Bhana, A., Chisholm, D., De Silva, M., Fekadu, A., Honikman, S., Jordans, M., Kathree, T., Kigozi, F. and Luitel, N.P.
- Process Evaluation of a Pilot Intervention for Psychosocial Rehabilitation for Service Users with Schizophrenia in North West Province, South Africa Community Mental Health Journal
Carrie Brooke-Sumner, One Selohilwe, Musawenkosi Sphiwe Mazibuko, Inge Petersen
- Theory of change for complex mental health interventions: 10 lessons from the programme for improving mental healthcare Global Mental Health
Erica Breuer, Mary De Silva and Crick Lund
- Implementing integrated services for people with epilepsy in primary care in Ethiopia: a qualitative study BMC Health Services Research
Catalao, R., Eshetu, T., Tsigebrhan, R., Medhin, G., Fekadu, A., & Hanlon, C.
- Social determinants of mental disorders and the Sustainable Development Goals: a systematic review of reviews The Lancet Psychiatry
Lund, C., Brooke-Sumner, C., Baingana, F., Baron, E. C., Breuer, E., Chandra, P., Saxena, S.
- Risk correlates for physical-mental multimorbidities in South Africa: a cross-sectional study Epidemiology and Psychiatric Science
Petersen, I., Rathod, S., Kathree, T., Selohilwe, O., & Bhana, A.
- Prevalence and correlates of depression and alcohol use disorder among adults attending primary health care services in Nepal: a cross sectional study BMC Health Services Research
Luitel, N. P., Baron, E. C., Kohrt, B. A., Komproe, I. H., & Jordans, M. J. D.
- Improving quality of mental health care in low‐resource settings: lessons from PRIME World Psychiatry
- Coping strategies of women with postpartum depression symptoms in rural Ethiopia: a cross-sectional community study BMC Psychiatry
Azale, T., Fekadu, A., Medhin, G., & Hanlon, C.
- Collaborative care for the detection and management of depression among adults with hypertension in South Africa: study protocol for the PRIME-SA randomised controlled trial BMC Psychiatry
Petersen, I., Bhana, A., Folb, N., Thornicroft, G., Zani, B., Fairall, L.
- Antenatal depressive symptoms and perinatal complications: a prospective study in rural Ethiopia BMC Psychiatry
Bitew, T., Hanlon, C., Kebede, E., Honikman, S., & Fekadu, A.
- Improving detection of mental health problems in community settings in Nepal: development and pilot testing of the community informant detection tool Conflict and Health
Subba, P., Luitel, N. P., Kohrt, B. A., & Jordans, M. J. D.
- Alcohol use in a rural district in Uganda: findings from community-based and facility-based cross-sectional studies International Journal of Mental Health Systems
Nalwadda, O., Rathod, S. D., Nakku, J., Lund, C., Prince, M., & Kigozi, F.
- Making complex interventions work in low resource settings: developing and applying a design focused implementation approach to deliver mental health through primary care in India International Journal of Mental Health Systems
Ramaswamy, R, Shidhaye, R., & Nanda, S
- Food insecurity among people with severe mental disorder in a rural Ethiopian setting: a comparative, population-based study Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences
Tirfessa, K, Lund, C, Medhin, G, Hailemichael, Y, Fekadu, A & Hanlon, C
- Impact of district mental health care plans on symptom severity and functioning of patients with priority mental health conditions: the Programme for Improving Mental Health Care (PRIME) cohort protocol BMC Psychiatry
Baron, EC, Rathod, SD, Hanlon, C, Prince, M, Fedaku, A, Kigozi, F, Jordans, M, Luitel, NP, Medhin, G, Murhar, V, Nakku, J, Patel, V, Petersen, I, Selohilwe, O, Shidhaye, R, Ssebunnya, J, Tomlinson, M, Lund, C & De Silva, M
- Integrating mental health care into primary care systems in low- and middle-income countries: lessons from PRIME and AFFIRM Global Mental Health
T. Davies and C. Lund
- Antenatal depressive symptoms and utilisation of delivery and postnatal care: a prospective study in rural Ethiopia BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth
Bitew T, Hanlon C, Kebede E, Honikman S, Onah MN and Fekadu A.
- “I cry every day and night, I have my son tied in chains”: physical restraint of people with schizophrenia in community settings in Ethiopia Globalization and Health
Asher L, Fekadu A, Teferra S, De Silva M, Pathare S and Hanlon C.
- Engaging and staying engaged: a phenomenological study of barriers to equitable access to mental healthcare for people with severe mental disorders in a rural African setting International Journal for Equity in Health
Maji Hailemariam, Abebaw Fekadu, Martin Prince and Charlotte Hanlon
- Predictors, help-seeking behaviour and treatment coverage for depression in adults in Sehore district, India BJPsych Open
Shidhaye, R., Lyngdoh, T., Murhar, V., Samudre, S., & Krafft
- Help seeking and suicidality among people with epilepsy in a rural low income country setting: cross-sectional survey International Journal of Mental Health Systems
Tsigebrhan, R., Hanlon, C., Medhin, G. and Fekadu, A.
- Treatment gap and barriers for mental health care: A cross-sectional community survey in Nepal PLoS One
Luitel, N.P., Jordans, M.J., Kohrt, B.A., Rathod, S.D. and Komproe, I.H.
- Recognition of depression by primary care clinicians in rural Ethiopia BMC Family Practice
Fekadu, A., Medhin, G., Selamu, M., Giorgis, T.W., Lund, C., Alem, A., Prince, M. and Hanlon, C.
- Conceptualisation of job-related wellbeing, stress and burnout among healthcare workers in rural Ethiopia: a qualitative study BMC health services research
Selamu, M., Thornicroft, G., Fekadu, A. and Hanlon, C.
- Proactive community case-finding to facilitate treatment seeking for mental disorders, Nepal Bulletin of the World Health Organization
Jordans, M.J., Kohrt, B.A., Luitel, N.P., Lund, C. and Komproe, I.H.
- Characteristics and correlates of alcohol consumption among adult chronic care patients in North West Province, South Africa SAMJ: South African Medical Journal
Bhana, A., Rathod, S.D., Selohilwe, O., Kathree, T. and Petersen, I.
- Community-based Rehabilitation Intervention for people with Schizophrenia in Ethiopia (RISE): study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial Trials
Asher, L., De Silva, M., Hanlon, C., Weiss, H. A., Birhane, R., Ejigu, D. A., Fekadu, A.
- Treatment Contact Coverage for Probable Depressive and Probable Alcohol Use Disorders in Four Low- and Middle-Income Country Districts: The PRIME Cross-Sectional Community Surveys PLOS One
Sujit D. Rathod, Mary J. De Silva, Joshua Ssebunnya, Erica Breuer, Vaibhav Murhar, Nagendra P. Luitel, Girmay Medhin, Fred Kigozi, Rahul Shidhaye, Abebaw Fekadu, Mark Jordans, Vikram Patel, Mark Tomlinson, Crick Lund
- Perinatal mental health care in a rural African district, Uganda: a qualitative study of barriers, facilitators and needs BMC Health Services Research
Juliet E. M. Nakku, Elialilia S. Okello, Dorothy Kizza, Simone Honikman, Joshua Ssebunnya, Sheila Ndyanabangi, Charlotte Hanlon, and Fred Kigozi
- Community-based psychosocial rehabilitation for schizophrenia service users in the north west province of South Africa: A formative study Social Work in Mental Health
Carrie Brooke-Sumner, Crick Lund, One Selohilwe & Inge Petersen
- Validity and diagnostic accuracy of the Luganda version of the 9-item and 2-item Patient Health Questionnaire for detecting major depressive disorder in rural Uganda Global Mental Health
Nakku, J. E. M., Rathod, S. D., Kizza, D., Breuer, E., Mutyaba, K., Baron, E. C., Kigozi, F.
- Antenatal depressive symptoms and maternal health care utilisation: a population-based study of pregnant women in Ethiopia BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth
Bitew T, Hanlon C, Kebede E, Medhin G, Fekadu A.
- Equitable access to integrated primary mental healthcare for people with severe mental disorders in Ethiopia: a formative study International Journal for Equity in Health
M Hailemariam, A Fekadu, M Selamu, G Medhin, M Prince, C Hanlon
- Treatment gap and help-seeking for postpartum depression in a rural African setting BMC Psychiatry
Telake Azale, Abebaw Fekadu and Charlotte Hanlon
- Using theory of change to design and evaluate public health interventions: a systematic review Implementation Science
Erica Breuer, Lucy Lee, Mary De Silva and Crick Lund
- Suicidal ideation and behaviour among community and health care seeking populations in five low- and middle-income countries: a cross-sectional study Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences
Jordans, M., Rathod, S., Fekadu, A., Medhin, G., Kigozi, F., Kohrt, B., Luitel, N., Petersen, I., Shidhaye, R., Ssebunnya, J. and Patel, V.
Epidemiological features of alcohol use in rural India: a population-based cross-sectional study BMJ Open
Sujit D Rathod, Abhijit Nadkarni, Arvin Bhana, Rahul Shidhaye
Accuracy of proactive case finding for mental disorders by community informants in Nepal British Journal of Psychiatry
Mark J. D. Jordans, Brandon A. Kohrt, Nagendra P. Luitel, Ivan H. Komproe, Crick Lund
Developing a mental health care plan in a low resource setting: the theory of change approach BMC Health Services Research
Maji Hailemariam, Abebaw Fekadu, Medhin Selamu, Atalay Alem, Girmay Medhin, Tedla Wolde Giorgis, Mary DeSilva and Erica Breuer
Beyond the Biomedical: Community Resources for Mental Health Care in Rural Ethiopia PLOS One
Medhin Selamu, Laura Asher, Charlotte Hanlon, Girmay Medhin, Maji Hailemariam, Vikram Patel, Graham Thornicroft, Abebaw Fekadu
Stakeholder analysis of the Programme for Improving Mental health carE (PRIME): baseline findings International Journal of Mental Health Systems
Amit Makan, Abebaw Fekadu, Vaibhav Murhar, Nagendra Luitel, Tasneem Kathree, Joshua Ssebunya and Crick Lund
Therapist competence in global mental health: Development of the Enhancing Assessment of Common Therapeutic factors (ENACT) rating scale Behaviour Research and Therapy
Brandon A. Kohrt, Mark J.D. Jordans, Sauharda Rai, Pragya Shrestha, Nagendra P. Luitel, Megan K. Ramaiya, Daisy R. Singla and Vikram Patel
Challenges for Transformation: A Situational Analysis of Mental Health Care Services in Sehore District, Madhya Pradesh Community Mental Health Journal
Shidhaye R, Raja A, Shrivastava S, Murhar V, Ramaswamy R, Patel V.
Validity of brief screening questionnaires to detect depression in primary care in Ethiopia https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26226431
Hanlon C, Medhin G, Selamu M, Breuer E, Worku B, Hailemariam M, Lund C, Prince M, Fekadu A
The validity of the Patient Health Questionnaire for screening depression in chronic care patients in primary health care in South Africa BMC Psychiatry
Arvin Bhana, Sujit D Rathod, One Selohilwe, Tasneem Kathree and Inge Petersen
Integration of mental health into primary care in low- and middle-income countries: The PRIME mental healthcare plans. British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Crick Lund, Mark Tomlinson, Vikram Patel
Development and pilot-testing of a mental healthcare plan in Nepal British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Mark Jordans, Nagendra Prasad Luitel, Pooja Pokhrel, Vikram Patel
Development and piloting of a plan for integrating Mental Health in primary care in Sehore District, Madhya Pradesh, India British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Rahul Shidhaye, Sanjay Shrivastava, Vaibhav Murhar, Sandesh Samudre, Shalini Ahuja, Rohit Ramaswamy, Vikram Patel
Development of a District Mental Health Care Plan in Uganda British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Fred N Kigozi, Dorothy Kizza, Juliet Nakku, Joshua Ssebunnya, Sheila Ndyanabangi, Blandina
Development of a scalable mental healthcare plan for a rural district in Ethiopia. British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Abebaw Fekadu, Charlotte Hanlon, Girmay Medhin, Atalay Alem, Medhin Selamu, Tedla W. Giorgis, Teshome Shibre, Solomon Teferra, Teketel Tegegn, Erica Breuer, Vikram Patel, Mark Tomlinson, Graham Thornicroft, Martin Prince, and Crick Lund
District Mental Health Care Plans for five low- and middle-income countries: commonalities, variations and evidence gaps. British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Charlotte Hanlon, Abebaw Fekadu, Mark Jordans, Fred Kigozi, Inge Petersen, Rahul Shidhaye, Simone Honikman, Crick Lund, Martin Prince, Shoba Raja, Graham Thornicroft, Mark Tomlinson, Vikram Patel
Evaluation of district mental healthcare plans: the PRIME consortium methodology. British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Mary J De Silva, Sujit D Rathod, Charlotte Hanlon, Erica Breuer, Dan Chisholm, Abebaw Fekadu, Mark Jordans, Fred Kigozi, Inge Petersen, Rahul Shidhaye, Girmay Medhin, Joshua Ssebunnya, Martin Prince, Graham Thornicroft, Mark Tomlinson, Crick Lund, Vikram Patel
Estimating the cost of implementing district mental healthcare plans in five low- and middle-income countries: the PRIME study. British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Dan Chisholm, Soumitra Burman-Roy , Abebaw Fekadu, Tasneem Kathree, Dorothy Kizza, Nagendra P. Luitel, Inge Petersen, Rahul Shidhaye, Mary De Silva, Crick Lund
Hazardous alcohol use and associated factors in a rural Ethiopian district: a cross-sectional community survey. BMC Public Health
Solomon Teferra, Girmay Medhin, Medhin Selamu, Arvin Bhana, Charlotte Hanlon and Abebaw Fekadu
Integrating mental health into chronic care in South Africa: the development of a district mental health plan. British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Inge Petersen, Lara Fairall, Arvin Bhana, Tasneem Kathree, One Selohilwe, Carrie Brooke-Sumner, Gill Faris, Erica Breuer, Nomvula Sibanyoni, Crick Lund, Vikram Patel
Maternal mental health in primary care in five low- and middle-income countries: a situational analysis. BMC Health Services Research
Emily C. Baron, Charlotte Hanlon, Sumaya Mall, Simone Honikman, Erica Breuer, Tasneem Kathree, Nagendra P. Luite, Juliet Nakku, Crick Lund, Girmay Medhin, Vikram Patel, Inge Petersen, Sanjay Shrivastava and Mark Tomlinson
Planning and evaluating mental health services in low- and middle-income countries using Theory of Change. British Journal of Psychiatry Supplement
Erica Breuer, Mary J De Silva, Rahul Shidaye, Inge Petersen, Juliet Nakku, Mark JD Jordans, Abebaw Fekadu, Crick Lund
Detection of depression in low resource settings: validation of the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) and cultural concepts of distress in Nepal. BMC Psychiatry
B.A. Kohrt, N.P. Luitel, P. Acharya, M.J. Jordans
Implementation Science for closing the treatment gap for mental disorders by translating evidence base into practice: experiences from the PRIME project. Australasian Psychiatry
'Restoring the person's life': a qualitative study to inform development of care for people with severe mental disorders in rural Ethiopia Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences
Mall, S., Hailemariam, M., Selamu, M., Fekadu, A., Lund, C., Patel, V., Petersen, I. and Hanlon, C.
Bridging the gap: investigating challenges and way forward for intersectoral provision of psychosocial rehabilitation in South Africa International Journal of Mental Health Systems
Carrie Brooke-Sumner, Crick Lund and Inge Petersen
Experiences and effects of psychiatric stigma: Monologues of the stigmatizers and the stigmatized in an African setting International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being
Catherine O. Egbe
Non-fatal suicidal behaviour in rural Ethiopia: a cross-sectional facility- and population-based study BMC Psychiatry
Abebaw Fekadu, Girmay Medhin, Medhin Selamu, Tsion Shiferaw, Maji Hailemariam, Sujit D Rathod, Mark Jordans, Solomon Teferra, Crick Lund, Erica Breuer, Martin Prince, Tedla W. Giorgis, Atalay Alem and Charlotte Hanlon
Using workshops to develop Theories of Change in five low and middle income countries: lessons from the Programme for Improving Mental health carE (PRIME) International Journal of Mental Health Systems
Erica Breuer, Mary J De Silva, Abebaw Fekadu , Nagendra Prasad Luitel, Vaibhav Murhar , Juliet Nakku, Inge Petersen and Crick Lund
Population level mental distress in rural Ethiopia BMC Psychiatry
Abebaw Fekadu, Girmay Medhin, Medhin Selamu, Maji Hailemariam, Atalay Alem, Tedla W Giorgis, Erica Breuer, Crick Lund, Martin Prince and Charlotte Hanlon
Acceptability and feasibility of using non-specialist health workers to deliver mental health care: Stakeholder perceptions from the PRIME district sites in Ethiopia, India, Nepal, South Africa, and Uganda Social Science & Medicine
Emily Mendenhall, Mary J. De Silva, Charlotte Hanlon, Inge Petersen, Rahul Shidhaye, Mark Jordans, Nagendra Luitel, Joshua Ssebunnya, Abebaw Fekadu, Vikram Patel, Mark Tomlinson, Crick Lund
Psychiatric stigma and discrimination in South Africa: perspectives from key stakeholders BMC Psychiatry
Egbe CO, Brooke-Sumner C, Kathree T, Selohilwe O, Thornicroft G, Petersen I.
Demand and access to mental health services: a qualitative formative study in Nepal BMC International Health & Human Rights
Natassia F Brenman, Nagendra P Luitel, Sumaya Mall and Mark J D Jordans
Perceptions of psychosocial disability amongst psychiatric service users and caregivers in South Africa African Journal of Disability
Carrie Brooke-Sumner, Crick Lund, Inge Petersen
Perceptions of postnatal depression and health care needs in a South African sample: the “mental” in maternal health care BMC Women's Health
Kathree T, Selohilwe OM, Bhana A, Petersen I.
Theory of Change: a theory-driven approach to enhance the Medical Research Council's framework for complex interventions Trials
Mary J De Silva, Erica Breuer, Lucy Lee, Laura Asher, Neerja Chowdhary, Crick Lund and Vikram Patel
Poverty and mental health: Towards a research agenda for low and middle-income countries. Commentary on Tampubolon and Hanandita (2014) Social Science & Medicine
Estimating the coverage of mental health programmes: a systematic review International Journal of Epidemiology
Mary J De Silva, Lucy Lee, Daniela C Fuhr, Sujit Rathod, Dan Chisholm, Joanna Schellenberg and Vikram Patel
Systematic Review of Feasibility and Acceptability of Psychosocial Interventions for Schizophrenia in Low and Middle Income Countries BMC Psychiatry
Brooke-Sumner C, Petersen I, Asher L, Mall S, Egbe CO, Lund C.
Mental health care in Nepal: current situation and challenges for development of a district mental health care plan Conflict and Health
Nagendra P Luitel, Mark JD Jordans, Anup Adhikari, Nawaraj Upadhaya, Charlotte Hanlon, Crick Lund and Ivan H Komproe
Challenges and Opportunities for Implementing Integrated Mental Health Care: A District Level Situation Analysis from Five Low-and Middle-Income Countries PLOS One
Charlotte Hanlon, Nagendra Luitel, Tasneem Kathree, Vaibhav Murhar, Sanjay Shrivasta, Girmay Medhin, Joshua Ssebunnya, Abebaw Fekadu, Rahul Shidhaye, Inge Petersen, Mark Jordans, Fred Kigozi, Graham Thornicroft, Vikram Patel, Mark Tomlinson, Crick Lund, Erica Breuer, Mary De Silva, Martin Prince
Setting priorities for mental health care in Nepal: a formative study BMC Psychiatry
Mark Jordans, Nagendra Luitel, Mark Tomlinson, Ivan Komproe
Optimizing lay counsellor services for chronic care in South Africa: a qualitative systematic review Patient Education and Counseling
Petersen I, Fairall L, Egbe CO, Bhana A.
PRIME: A Programme to Reduce the Treatment Gap for Mental Disorders in Five Low- and Middle-Income Countries PLOS Medicine.
Crick Lund, Mark Tomlinson, Mary De Silva, Abebaw Fekadu, Rahul Shidhaye, Mark Jordans, Inge Petersen, Arvin Bhana, Fred Kigozi, Martin Prince, Graham Thornicroft, Charlotte Hanlon, Ritsuko Kakuma, David McDaid, Shekhar Saxena, Dan Chisholm, Shoba Raja,Sarah Kippen-Wood, Simone Honikman, Lara Fairall, Vikram Patel
Effect of psychosocial interventions on social functioning in depression and schizophrenia: a meta-analysis British Journal of Psychiatry.
Mary De Silva, Sara Cooper, H Li, Crick Lund, Vikram Patel
The measurement of poverty in psychiatric epidemiology in LMICs: critical review and recommendations Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology
Sara Cooper, Crick Lund, Ritsuko Kakuma
Global mental health: a sustainable post Millennium Development Goal? International Health.
Closing the treatment gap for depression co-morbid with HIV in South Africa: Voices of afflicted women Health
Inge Petersen, Jill Hanass Hancock, Arvin Bhana, Kaymarlin Govender, Members of Programme for Improving Mental Health Care (PRIME)
Capacity building in global mental health research Harvard Review of Psychiatry
Graham Thornicroft, Sara Cooper, Tine Van Bortel, Ritsuko Kakuma, Crick Lund
Why does mental health not get the attention it deserves? An application of the Shiffman and Smith framework PLOS Medicine.
Mark Tomlinson, Crick Lund
A renewed agenda for global mental health The Lancet.
Vikram Patel, Niall Boyce, Pamela Y Collins, Shekhar Saxena, Richard Horton
Poverty and mental disorders: breaking the cycle in low-income and middle-income countries The Lancet
Crick Lund, Mary De Silva, Sophie Plagerson, Sara Cooper, Dan Chisholm, Jishnu Das, Martin Knapp, Vikram Patel
Scale up of services for mental health in low-income and middle-income countries The Lancet
Julian Eaton, Layla McCay, Maya Semrau, Sudipto Chatterjee, Florence Baingana, Ricardo Araya, Christina Ntulo, Graham Thornicroft, Shekhar Saxena
Poverty and mental health: A review of practice and policies Neuropsychiatry